A look back at 2013…
- Video Goes Viral As Woman Arrested for Slapping Kneeling Boyfriend.
- Inside a Bitcoin Mining Operation in Hong Kong
- Michael Wolf’s ‘Architecture of Density’.
- A Brief Visual History: HK’s Old Airport, Kai Tak
- A Brief Visual History: Kowloon Walled City
- HK’s Best Beach, Tai Long Wan (Big Wave Bay), Sai Kung.
- Michael Wolf’s 100×100.
- HK’s Cheapest Mobiles: Top 4 Places.
- Rare Shots from Inside the Old Kowloon Walled City.
- Sexpo 2013: Photos from HK’s First ‘Asia Adult Expo’ [NSFW].
- Kuk Po: HK’s Borderzone Ghost Town, Part 1 , Part 2 , Part 3, Part 4.
- The Standard vs. The Sub-Standard: Battle of the Logos.
- Hedda Morrison’s Hong Kong: Photos from 1942, Beautifully Restored.
- Hong Kong’s Invisible Caged Poor: Mini Sculptures by Kwong Chi Kit.
- Tung Ping Chau: HK’s Wild Jumanji Island Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.
- The Official Hong Kong Hiking Drinking Game.
- Giant Duck Contracts Lung Cancer in Harbour; has Existential Crisis, Part 2.
- If Everyone Lived at the Same Density as Hong Kongers.
- How Hong Kong Was Made: Iconic Buildings Under Construction.
- Domestic Helper Photo Project: ‘Why Do You Do What You Do’.
In the arts, Hong Wrong visited the 2013 Affordable Art Fair, Art Basel, Asia Contemporary Art Show , Asia Hotel Art Fair, Ai Weiwei, Clockenflap, Fotanian, Free Space, Hong Kong Tattoo Convention, Hong Kong Contemporary, Hong Kong Eye, Inflation The Chapman Brothers and Very HK.
In politics and activism, Hong Wrong gained a political commentator in the anonymous form of ‘Tony Wong‘ and covered the Left 21 anti-poverty Halloween rally, the annual Tiananmen vigil, the annual July 1st Pro-democracy march, a Christian homophobic demo, the pro-Beijinger vs.Falun Gong spat, a racist elevator, Manila bus crisis redux, a rally in support of an abused maid, the annual gay pride parade, Snowden rally and we rededicated a giant dog shit to politician Chan Kam-Lam.
- Traffic: By late 2013, the blog averaged 160,000 unique visitors and over 300,000 pageviews per month.
- Most shared: The most viral posts on Facebook were the slapping viral video, followed by this multi-cultural map of Hong Kong and HDP’s ‘Inception’ photo series.
- Quarrels: The blog had a run-in with HK’s most recycled newspaper, The Standard, and with top judge Kevin Zervos who threatened to sue the blog despite being unable to prove any inaccuracies in our post. Secret Island Party got cross about us breaking secrets. Meanwhile, the blog sent a hearty ‘fuck you‘ to Monster Energy for gatecrashing our non-commercial Pillow Fight Day.
- Satire: The new satirical posts caused much confusion, with some falling for posts such as ‘Kowloon & HK Island to be Linked By Cable Car‘. One local activist contacted the blog believing the Tiananmen apology story to be real, saying it had bought her to tears.
In April, Hong Wrong hosted the third annual International Pillow Fight Day. It saw its biggest ever gathering in Chater Garden. Click here for photos and here for media coverage… Next year’s fight looks to be even bigger as it falls on Saturday, April 5th – a public holiday!
In June, Hong Wrong joined forces with InMedia to mobilise a ‘Support Snowden’ rally after the US Whistleblower sought refuge in HK. Click for Part 1: Preparations, Part 2: Global media coverage, Part 3: Photos, Part 4: Videos.
A particularly grotesque case of domestic helper abuse captured international media attention in 2013, as legal fights for equality came to a stalemate. Thus, a new advocacy campaign for domestic workers has been gearing up for an official launch in January, 2014. Voting for the ‘HK Helpers Campaign’ to win HK$20,000 in start-up funds from Awakening Cafe continues until next Monday, December 30th – click here for details.
The blog returns in January – Happy New Year! 新年快樂!
More content on the Hong Wrong Mega Index…