A half-submerged Vietnamese freighter is currently sat glumly off the coast of Cheung Chau after running aground last month.
A HK URBEX team explored the stricken Sunrise Orient last week…
It was shot with a GoPro HERO 3+ (head), HERO 1 (selfie stick) and a HERO 2 mounted on the DJI Phantom 2…
The stricken cargo ship was abandoned by the frightened crew on February 20th, with the captain refusing to return to the vessel to switch off the engine.
The 89-metre, 2,500 tonne ship drifted for around a kilometre after the 17 crew members were rescued. It eventually settled at the beach off Tung Wan Tsai after tug boats failed to bring it under control.
The Marine Department is investigating the incident and an oil slick has been contained. It is thought that cargo had moved on board the ship, causing it to list at a 45-degree angle and take in water.
The Sunrise Orient was carrying 2,800 of cement from Guangdong province to Indonesia and was in Hong Kong waters for refuelling.
The site is reportedly attracting dozens of photographers, including wedding photographers…
The incident is reminiscent of a vessel named ‘City of Lobito’ – a much larger cargo ship that was washed up on a Cheung Chau beach after a typhoon in 1983. Click here for more details and photos.
Stay tuned to Hong Wrong next week for photos of an abandoned ‘haunted’ village in deepest, darkest Plover Cove.
Exploring forgotten corners of HK where nature is winning…
- Abandoned TV studios near Sai Kung.
- Abandoned Villages in HK’s ‘Wild West’ (Fan Lau).
- Central’s Abandoned Prison and Police Station.
- Fung Hang Semi-Abandoned Village.
- HK’s Abandoned ‘Ghost Island’, Yim Tin Tsai.
- Kuk Po, Part 1: Photos from HK’s Borderzone Ghost Town.
- Kuk Po, Part 2: More Shots from the Abandoned Village Outpost.
- Kuk Po: Part 3: Interview with the Only Villager.
- Kuk Po, Part 4: Plover Cove Abandoned Ghost Town Revisited.
- Luk Keng Chan Uk Semi-Abandoned Village.
- Ma Wan Abandoned Town, Part 1.
- Ma Wan Abandoned Town, Part 2.
- Shing Mun Redoubt, HK’s Secret WWII Tunnels.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 1: Video discussing HK’s Abandoned, Wild Island Outpost.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 2: The Abandoned Hamlets of Hong Kong’s ‘Jumanji Island’.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 3: The Abandoned Military Base on HK’s Wild Outpost.
- Wanchai’s Abandoned Police Station.