Hong Kong Rally in Support of Edward Snowden this Saturday, 3pm Chater Garden (exit J2, Central). Hosted by InMedia and Hong Wrong. See supportsnowden.org for details and bring a whistle! Over 14,000+ invited at the time of writing, but we need you to show up with your whistles!
Confirmed speakers include:
- Albert Ho, Director, HK Alliance & HK election Democratic runner-up, “Why this case is important for HK’s future”
- Law Yuk Kai, Director, HK Human Rights Monitor: “Hong Kong’s legal system & international legal system”
- Ip lam Chong, In-Media HK: “The implications of Edward Snowden coming to Hong Kong”
- Claudia Mo, LegCo member, founding member of Civic Party: “Whistleblowers and free speech in HK”
- Charles Mok, LegCo: “The right to communicate safely online and freedom of expression”
Download placards or make your own…
Link to event & update your timeline pic on FB:
Snowden stated on Wednesday that “My intention is to ask the courts and people of Hong Kong to decide my fate. I have been given no reason to doubt your system.”
Edward Snowden, the whistleblower behind the NSA internet and phone surveillance program has come to Hong Kong because, he says, we “have a spirited commitment to free speech and the right of political dissent”. Snowden sacrificed his personal safety and freedom to defend our right to free speech and Internet freedom.
We call on Hong Kong to respect international legal standards and procedures relating to the protection of Snowden; we condemn the U.S. government for violating our rights and privacy; and we call on the U.S. not to prosecute Snowden.”
Do you want to stand for freedom and the rule of law? Or should we totally disregard Hong Kong’s legal system? This episode marks a crossroads in Hong Kong’s future. Stand up for the future of Hong Kong..
Time: 3-5:30pm, Saturday June 15, 2013. Rally route: Starting 3pm at Chater Garden, Central MTR exit J2. Rally to the U.S Consulate and then Tamar SAR government building.
- Rally preparation: Please bring your friends, prepare for rain and try to bring water resistant posters. Bring a whistle. Slogan suggestions: “Defend Free Speech, Protect Snowden”, “No Extradition”, “Respect Hong Kong Law”, “Shame on NSA”, “Stop Internet Surveillance”, “Betray Snowden = Betray Freedom”.
Rally press coverage:
ABC News (USA), Al-Jazeera, The Standard, Sing Tao, SCMP, SCMP poll, The Guardian, interview with ABC Australia, AFP (reproduced in many outlets e.g. Channel News Asia, Pakistan Daily Times, Fox News, Bloomberg etc…). Event tweets from Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein.
Viral image for sharing:
- 1908 Book Store
- Civil Human Rights Front
- Defend HK Freedom
- Democratic Party
- Globalisation Monitor
- Hong Kong Christian Institute
- Hong Kong Civil Liberties Union
- Hong Kong First
- Hong Kong Professional Teachers Union
- Hong Kong Women’s Worker Association
- Hong Wrong
- Labour Party
- Land Justice League
- League of Social Democrats
- Left 21
- Midnight Blue
- Next Media Trade Union
- People Power
- Socialist Action
- Speak For Humanity
- Student Union of The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Neighbourhood and Worker’s Service Centre
- Youth Union
Artwork via hkstreert.tumblr: