Hong Kongers are spoilt for choice this weekend. Here’s a lowdown of the weekend’s best events – all of which are free!
Very HK Festival 2013
- ‘Big Picnic’ event, this Sunday, Dec 15th, Noon till 9pm. Central Waterfront Promenade.
“Very Hong Kong is the city’s first independent, annual programme with a mix of community-founded arts, culture, food, lifestyle, sport and design events, held in various public spaces in the city. It will be a celebration of Hong Kong’s unique mix of culture, heritage, cosmopolitan lifestyle and urban environment by transforming the city’s public space.”
The picnic is the climax of the many, many events which form part of the new, crowd-funded festival. Other events include ‘Very Christmas Concert‘, 7pm on Saturday, ‘Very Street‘ from 12:30pm on Saturday and ‘Very Big Screen on the Green‘ at 7pm also on Saturday…
There is also a cluster of events and exhibitions in Wanchai at Dominion Garden, Wing Lok Lane and also on Sun Street and Moon Street.
Freespace Festival 2013
- 2-day music festival, this Sat/Sun, Dec 14th-15th, 1pm till 10:30pm. West Kowloon Cultural District. Click here for coverage of last year’s event.
“Freespace Fest is a free two-day outdoor arts festival where artists present outdoor works and audiences bring in their own activities. It is a festival for you to experiment the possibilities of public space. With 10 co-curators offering 15 hours of performances and activities covering music, dance, literature, media arts, parkour, workshops, talks and open-call programmes by over 400 local and overseas artists, there is plenty to see and enjoy.”
Tickets are no longer available online but you can show up and queue – first-come-first-served.
- This Saturday, Dec 14th, from noon. Red Bar, IFC continuing across the city. Click here for coverage of last year’s event.
“Santacon is a non-denominational, non-commercial, non-political and non-sensical Santa Claus convention that occurs once a year for absolutely no reason. More simply, it’s an excuse to dress up as Santa and parade drunk and merrily through the bars of Hong Kong.”
Hide your kids and wife – HK’s bankers and lawyers go on the rampage across Kowloon and HK Island in the messy annual international Santapalooza.
Hong Wrong will be covering all three events, so stay tuned for photos next week!
A beady eye on cultural events across the territory…
- To view all past events featured on Hong Wrong, click here.
- To view all past events related to HK’s Anthropology Society, click here.
A close eye on HK’s burgeoning music scene…
- ‘Hong Kong Kids’ Music Video.
- 9 Maps Album Launch.
- Ambient Monolake Album Mixes Sounds of the MTR.
- City Lines: 9 Maps, Cleen and Louise Joachimowski Play the Fringe.
- Clockenflap 2012. See also: Complete Clockenflap 2012 Guide.
- Clockenflap 2013.
- David Rovics Plays For One Night Only in HK.
- Expat Kid Rapper Returns With New Video: Cool or Cringe?
- Free Space Festival 2012.
- Guitar Duo Rodrigo & Gabriela: Pics + Video.
- Hidden Agenda Raided Again Over the Weekend.
- Hong Kong Ephemeral (Kowloon Hong Kong by The Reynettes.
- The Psy Gangnam Tribute: ‘Hong Kong Style’.
- Times Square Musical Flashmob by HK’s Top Indie Bands.
Hong Wrong is to blame for the city’s annual Pillow Fight Day every April…
- 2011 Pillow Fight Day Photos, Videos & Coverage.
- 2012 Pillow Fight Day Photos and Coverage. See also: Compilation video.
- 2013 Pillow Fight Day. See also: Press coverage, compilation video, photos.