Lucy Lan Skrine, aged 11, and Christina Seigrist aged 8, have begun a petition to demand the government destroy its stockpile of ivory. There have been 5 large seizures of smuggled ivory this year alone and it is thought around 25 tonnes of elephant tusks have now been collected by the government.
In other countries such as the US, the Philippines and in African states themselves, the illegal hauls are burnt or crushed. A big public show is made of it in order to send a message to poachers and buyers. The US will crush 7 tonnes of confiscated ivory in October whilst 5 tonnes was destroyed in Manila in June.
The girls also called for the Chinese government to ban its domestic ivory trade and to close shops selling carvings (in particular, the 37 state-owned ivory carving factories)…
HK’s latest haul, last month, was its biggest ever and was worth US$5million – yet it is mystifying as to why GovHK wishes to keep hold of the stockpile. Like other illegal seized goods – they have no commercial value and cannot be released back into the market. Under local law, trading in products from endangered species attracts up to two years in prison and a fine of up to HK$5 million. The trade itself was banned internationally in 1989.
Conservationists and researchers have said that China’s insatiable appetite for ivory may finally mean extinction for elephants in Africa. Meanwhile, HK’s huge stash of ‘white gold’ is becoming a security concern despite being stored at a top-secret location. Similar stockpiles in Zambia and Tanzania had been raided by thieves.
Over 800 people had signed the petition at the time of writing.
Archive of political posts and coverage…
- A Tour of the Famous Greenpeace Ship, Rainbow Warrior III.
- Average Salaries of Those Who Serve Us.
- Child Abduction Rumours Are Textbook Scarelore.
- Citizens Left to Clean Beaches Still Brimming with Plastic Pellets.
- CY Leung Humiliated at Ceremony Ahead of July 1st March.
- Election 2012 as Popvote.hk is Hacked.
- Food Choices on the Hong Kong Poverty Line.
- Henry Tang’s Daughter’s Artwork.
- Hidden Agenda Raided Again Over the Weekend.
- HK 3rd Best for Human Freedom? The Truth About ‘That Survey’.
- Hong Kong is World’s Most Racist State. See also: Hong Kong NOT World’s Most Racist State After All.
- Hong Kong’s Rooftop Slums.
- How Hong Kong Would Look With The All Lights Out.
- How Mitt Romney Raised $Millions in HK & Macau.
- Judges Approve Transsexual Marriage as LGBT Event Planned for Weekend.
- Lantau Incinerator a Load of Old Rubbish.
- Manila Bus Crisis – Mourning Sickness.
- Memo an Affront to HK’s Autonomy as New HK Ai Wei Wei Piece Revealed.
- More Clueless Sexual Assault Comments, Now From HK’s Chief Prosecutor.
- New HK PSA: Shut Up and Love China.
- Poverty & Property: The Claustrophobic Reality of HK Shoeboxes.
- Security Chief Tells Women: ‘Reduce Drinking’ to Get Raped Less.
- Serious Crime Unit Arrests Graffiti Artist as US Criticises HK Human Rights.
- Squalor in Fanling: Slum Dwellings Return to Hong Kong (Photos).
- The Heart-Warming Kindness of Hong Kong’s Heroes.
- The HK Standard: Ignorant at Best, Racist at Worst.
- The KONY 2012 HK ‘Night Sweep’.
- The McQueue of Shame?
- Time Out/Hemlock Tycoons Feature.
- Why Does Jackie Chan Hate Hong Kong?
Rallies/demonstrations instigated by, or jointly coordinated by, Hong Wrong (most recent first)…
- US Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seeks Refuge in HK, 2013. More on the ‘Support Snowden’ rally: Part I: Preparations, Part II: Global media coverage, Part III: Photos, Part IV: Videos.
- Giant Dog Shit is Re-dedicated to Politician Chan Kam-Lam, 2013.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2013. See also: Preview of 2013 Candle-lit Vigil.
- Depraved HK Newspaper Needn’t Fear HK’s Media Watchdogs, 2012. See also: Media Ethics Complaint Against Oriental Daily Upheld.
- Gaza Rally 2012.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2012.
- Why I Attempted to Arrest Tony Blair, 2012. See also: £2420 ‘Arrest Blair’ Bounty Awarded.
- 24-hr Anonymous Guerrilla Art Installation, 2010.
- Anniversary of the Tibetan Occupation, 2010.
- Gaza Flotilla Rally, 2010.
- HK-GZ High Speed Rail Link Protests, 2010.
- Anniversary of the Tibetan Occupation, 2009.
- Annual Democracy Rally, 2009.
- Gaza Rally, 2009.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2009.
- Annual Democracy Rally, 2008.
- Buy Nothing Day, 2008.
- China Human Rights Protest, 2008.
- Olympic Torch Relay, 2008 See also: Olympic Countdown and Civil Liberties Legal Case, 2008.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2008.
- Maxim Magazine Feature, 2006.
- Minimum Wage Protest, 2006.
- Worker’s Rights in Education, 2006.
Rallies/Demonstrations attended by, or covered by, Hong Wrong…
- Lantau Incinerator Protest, 2012.
- LGBT Anti-Discrimination Rally, 2012.
- Shots from HK’s Gay Pride Parade, 2012.
- Shots from the National Education Protests of 2012.
- Occupy Hong Kong, 2011. See also: Occupy Hong Kong a Bit Embarrassing, Asked to Leave, Occupy HK Refuse to Speak to Media and Occupy Hong Kong Evicted (pictures).
Reinterpreting major local news events in English for foreign readers and expats…
- Full Lowdown: 2012 Election Aftermath. Protests Continue, Albert Ho Quits & Racist Candidate Loses.
- Full Lowdown: Battle of the Bullshit – Falun Gong Edition.
- Full Lowdown: HK Lamma Ferry Disaster 2012.
- Full Lowdown: HK Political Shit-storm Ahead of July 1st, 2012. See also: Full Lowdown of Handover Weekend 2012: Protest Minimised, Reporter Removed.
- Full Lowdown: HK’s 2012 National Education Protests. See also: Full Lowdown: Small Victory for Scholarism as 170,000+ Protest National Education.
- Full Lowdown: HK’s Tiananmen Vigil & Protests 2012.
- Full Lowdown: July 1st Pro-Democracy March, 2013. See also: The coolest, most inspiring shots from the 2013 July 1st Rally.
- Full Lowdown: Thousands of Bigoted Christian Homophobes Gather for Demo.
- Full Lowdown: US Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seeks Refuge in Free Speech HK