A short distance from the southern coastline of Lantau lies the small island of Peng Chau…
Not to be confused with Ping Chau in HK’s northeast, this rustic yet easily accessible island has an area of less on 1km.
Fresh seafood, temples, some reasonable beaches and walking routes attract tourists every weekend. Finger Hill offers some rewarding views for hikers…
Some of Peng Chau’s temples are up to 400 years old.
In the 70s and 80s it was a centre of industry, but now its abandoned workshops and easygoing pace have made it a fitting escape the metropolis.
Around 6,300 people live on the island yet there are no cars – only bicycles and small motorised carts.
The south-east corner around Nam Wan and Tai Wo feature woodland and organic farms, whilst there is a covered market and narrow shopping streets around the pier area.
Peng Chau is small and can be easily covered in half a day, so you can island-hop via the Inter Island Ferry to Mui Wo or Cheung Chau. (A new ferry between Peng Chau and Hei Ling Chau opened in August 2013, but it is unclear if the island is open to the public).
BBC: ‘The Real Hong Kong’ visiting Peng Chau…
Regular ferries from Central leave from Pier 6 around every 45-50 minutes – check the timetable here. The journey takes about 25-30 minutes by fast ferry and 40 minutes by ordinary ferry.
Map of the island:
Places to see off-the-beaten-track and attractions to visit across the city…
- Beautiful Bride’s Pool Waterfalls.
- Causeway Bay’s Cat Cafe.
- Escape Hong Kong at ‘Freeing HK’, Mongkok.
- Exploring the Abandoned ‘Haunted’ TV Studios in Ho Chung.
- Fung Hang Abandoned Village.
- HK’s Best Beach, Tai Long Wan (Big Wave Bay), Sai Kung.
- HK’s Wild South West: Shek Pik to Tai O.
- Hong Kong’s Abandoned ‘Ghost Island’, Yim Tin Tsai.
- How to See Fireflies in Hong Kong.
- Kuk Po Abandoned Village.
- Lion Rock & Beacon Hill.
- Motocross Dirt Biking in Sheung Shui.
- Official Map of Hong Kong Island’s New Hos.
- Shing Mun Redoubt, HK’s Secret WWII Tunnels.
- Sunrise on Hong Kong’s Farthest Flung & Wildest Island.
- Tap Mun (Grass Island).
- The Cattle Depot Artist Village.
- The Hakka Walled Village of Tsang Tai Uk, Sha Tin.