Self-taught French photographer Joel Odesser has a solo show in Kowloon Tong this Autumn. Running until October 11th, ‘Behind the Scenes’ exposes an ‘often forgotten side of Hong Kong’. Click here for his portfolio and here for his FB page.
“Resulting from a four-year observation of life in Hong Kong, Behind the Scenes focuses on the responsibilities of urban renewal, and is a pictorial question exploring how standard of living and quality of life, conflict and overlap.”
“Each picture focuses on a person routinely wandering through back alleys. Immersed in the surrounding graphical overload, the figures reflect each of us as city dwellers carrying stories beyond what is found in the frame itself. They reciprocally exchange pressure with the confined urban environment. Meanwhile, taking over from nature, absorbing sunlight, buildings become overwhelming living things. Whether crowded or isolated within the available space, the stronger the tension generated.”
“Hong Kong Lives & Lights’ presents a subset of a different body of work suggesting unusual visual experiences. Patchworks provide an in-frame dialog, which highlights contrasts and tells a story. Long exposure freezes movement in a picturesque merger of layers. Out-of-focus sets a mood by expanding the glow of colours.” Selected works from Hong Kong Lives…
Art Gallery of Yew Chung International School, 3 To Fuk Road, Kowloon Tong.
Monday to Friday: 3:30pm to 7pm. Saturday 10am to 6pm.
Enquiries: 3975-6835 (school office)
Click here for a collection of Hong Kong desktop wallpapers. You may also enjoy…
- Aerial Shots of HK’s Coffin Homes, by Ko Chung Ming.
- An American Warship in Hong Kong.
- Beautifully Animated Hong Kong Cinemagraphs.
- Before and After Photos of Old & New Hong Kong.
- Cages, Hookers, Tattoos: HK’s Grim Underbelly.
- Colourful HK: More Amazing Shots by Romain Jacquet-Lagreze.
- Cool Photos of Hong Kong in Miniature.
- Dreamy Infra-red Shots of Hong Kong.
- Elite: Michael Chan’s Commentary on Education & Poverty.
- Fan Ho, Part I: HK’s Boom Years.
- Fan Ho, Part II: Street Scenes in Dreamy Colour 1954-2004.
- Food Choices on the Hong Kong Poverty Line.
- Glitch the Matrix: Old & New Hong Kong Blended Together.
- HangGraffiti’s Unexpected Hong Kong.
- HK’s ‘Gloomy Summer’ by Akif Hakan Celebi.
- Home Street Home: Homelessness in HK by Lei Jih-sheng.
- Hong Kong Above the Clouds.
- Hong Kong in the Rain By Christophe Jacrot.
- Hong Kong Through a Crystal Ball.
- Hong Kong Through the Eyes of NatGeo’s Mark Leong.
- Honkey Kong: HK Photographed as a 2-D Platform Game.
- Jeff Tam’s HDR & Street Photography.
- Little Planet Hong Kong: A New Perspective.
- Michael Wolf’s ‘Architecture of Density’.
- Michael Wolf’s ‘Window Watching’ Invasive or Curious?
- Michael Wolf’s 100 Photos of 100 Rooms of 100sq ft.
- Michael Wolf’s Hong Kong Cornerhouses.
- Neon Pink and Blue – Thomas Birke’s HK Shots.
- One Year in Hong Kong by Brian Yen.
- Photographs of Hong Kong’s Rooftop Slums.
- Pictures of Hong Kong in 1972.
- Poverty & Property: The Claustrophobic Reality of HK Shoeboxes.
- Poverty, Age & Loneliness in HK: by Brian Yen.
- Rare Shots from Inside the Old Kowloon Walled City.
- Sean Creamer’s Hong Kong.
- Superheroes Working in Hong Kong.
- The Part of Hong Kong Foreigners Never See, by Joanathan Van Smit’.
- The Peak Tram in 1908 & More Unseen Vintage Photos.
- Tom Carter’s China: Exclusive Shots of HK & Macau.
- Vertical Horizon: Amazing Photos HK Skyscrapers.
- Vintage Photos of Old Hong Kong.
- World Press Photo 2012 at the HK Design Institute.