Left 21 believes that the scariest thing about HK this Halloween is the city’s ever-increasing poverty gap…
And so, over the weekend, a Hong Wrong contributor joined them for a terrifying ‘Ghosts of the Hungry Poor’ rally…
The horror-themed protest left shoppers bemused as demonstrators chanted for justice around Kowloon’s busiest shopping areas.
Left 21 member, Aloi, explained that they were “here to demand the government have some policy to alleviate the poverty problem in Hong Kong… Hong Kong is a haven of capitalism – we’re here to demand… the kind of tax system that will lead to a redistribution of wealth”.
The group called for a progressive tax system and a millionaire tax on HK’s wealthiest individuals and super-rich conglomerates.
In the shadow of TST’s most luxurious stores, they also called for an increase in public housing to tackle the property crisis as well as full universal suffrage and democracy.
Their Facebook event decried the widening wealth gap in HK. “1.3 million poor! 300,000 elderly in poverty! 220,000 people are living in subdivided flats! Is this for real!? …Incapable Chief Executive CY Leung has said he cannot solve the poverty; we have no choice but to march”.
Marchers passed through Mongkok’s Sai Yeung Choi Street, Li Ka Shing’s 1881 mall in TST and ended at the headquarters of the Dark Lord himself – the Cheung Kong Centre.
Left 21 alliance “was founded by a group of like-minded individuals based in Hong Kong with the aim of promoting and creating discussion on left-wing thought.” Click here to learn more about their aims.
The protest was followed by a ‘Deliberation Day’ meeting at the Cheung Kong Centre where members discussed the importance of democracy, achieving equality in HK and Occupy Central… Civilised and peaceful, the day of protest passed in-keeping with HK’s great tradition of nonviolent dissent.
Apple Daily covered the demo (Chinese), though no English press were present.
Archive of political posts and coverage…
- A Tour of the Famous Greenpeace Ship, Rainbow Warrior III.
- Average Salaries of Those Who Serve Us.
- Child Abduction Rumours Are Textbook Scarelore.
- Citizens Left to Clean Beaches Still Brimming with Plastic Pellets.
- CY Leung Humiliated at Ceremony Ahead of July 1st March.
- Election 2012 as Popvote.hk is Hacked.
- Food Choices on the Hong Kong Poverty Line.
- Henry Tang’s Daughter’s Artwork.
- Hidden Agenda Raided Again Over the Weekend.
- Hong Kong 3rd Best for Human Freedom? The Truth About ‘That Survey’.
- Hong Kong’s Invisible Caged Poor: Mini Sculptures by Kwong Chi Kit.
- Hong Kong is World’s Most Racist State. See also: Hong Kong NOT World’s Most Racist State After All.
- Hong Kong’s Rooftop Slums.
- Hong Kong’s Shame – More Squalid Slums Discovered in the New Territories.
- How Hong Kong Would Look With The All Lights Out.
- How Mitt Romney Raised $Millions in HK & Macau.
- Indonesian Maids Rally in Support of Abused Domestic Helper.
- Judges Approve Transsexual Marriage as LGBT Event Planned for Weekend.
- Lantau Incinerator a Load of Old Rubbish.
- Manila Bus Crisis – Mourning Sickness.
- Memo an Affront to HK’s Autonomy as New HK Ai Wei Wei Piece Revealed.
- More Clueless Sexual Assault Comments, Now From HK’s Chief Prosecutor.
- New HK PSA: Shut Up and Love China.
- Poverty & Property: The Claustrophobic Reality of HK Shoeboxes.
- Revealed: CY Leung Met Tony Blair in Secretive June Meeting
- Security Chief Tells Women: ‘Reduce Drinking’ to Get Raped Less.
- Serious Crime Unit Arrests Graffiti Artist as US Criticises HK Human Rights.
- Squalor in Fanling: Slum Dwellings Return to Hong Kong (Photos).
- The Heart-Warming Kindness of Hong Kong’s Heroes.
- The HK Standard: Ignorant at Best, Racist at Worst.
- The KONY 2012 HK ‘Night Sweep’.
- The McQueue of Shame?
- Time Out/Hemlock Tycoons Feature.
- Two HK School Children Demand GovHK Burn Ivory Stockpile
- Why Does Jackie Chan Hate Hong Kong?
Rallies/demonstrations instigated by, or jointly coordinated by, Hong Wrong (most recent first)…
- US Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seeks Refuge in HK, 2013. More on the ‘Support Snowden’ rally: Part I: Preparations, Part II: Global media coverage, Part III: Photos, Part IV: Videos.
- Giant Dog Shit is Re-dedicated to Politician Chan Kam-Lam, 2013.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2013. See also: Preview of 2013 Candle-lit Vigil.
- Depraved HK Newspaper Needn’t Fear HK’s Media Watchdogs, 2012. See also: Media Ethics Complaint Against Oriental Daily Upheld.
- Gaza Rally 2012.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2012.
- Why I Attempted to Arrest Tony Blair, 2012. See also: £2420 ‘Arrest Blair’ Bounty Awarded.
- 24-hr Anonymous Guerrilla Art Installation, 2010.
- Anniversary of the Tibetan Occupation, 2010.
- Gaza Flotilla Rally, 2010.
- HK-GZ High Speed Rail Link Protests, 2010.
- Anniversary of the Tibetan Occupation, 2009.
- Annual Democracy Rally, 2009.
- Gaza Rally, 2009.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2009.
- Annual Democracy Rally, 2008.
- Buy Nothing Day, 2008.
- China Human Rights Protest, 2008.
- Olympic Torch Relay, 2008 See also: Olympic Countdown and Civil Liberties Legal Case, 2008.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2008.
- Maxim Magazine Feature, 2006.
- Minimum Wage Protest, 2006.
- Worker’s Rights in Education, 2006.
Rallies/Demonstrations attended by, or covered by, Hong Wrong…
- Lantau Incinerator Protest, 2012.
- LGBT Anti-Discrimination Rally, 2012.
- Shots from HK’s Gay Pride Parade, 2012.
- Shots from the National Education Protests of 2012.
- Occupy Hong Kong, 2011. See also: Occupy Hong Kong a Bit Embarrassing, Asked to Leave, Occupy HK Refuse to Speak to Media and Occupy Hong Kong Evicted (pictures).
Reinterpreting major local news events in English for foreign readers and expats…
- Full Lowdown: 2012 Election Aftermath. Protests Continue, Albert Ho Quits & Racist Candidate Loses.
- Full Lowdown: Battle of the Bullshit – Falun Gong Edition.
- Full Lowdown: HK Lamma Ferry Disaster 2012.
- Full Lowdown: HK Political Shit-storm Ahead of July 1st, 2012. See also: Full Lowdown of Handover Weekend 2012: Protest Minimised, Reporter Removed.
- Full Lowdown: HK’s 2012 National Education Protests. See also: Full Lowdown: Small Victory for Scholarism as 170,000+ Protest National Education.
- Full Lowdown: HK’s Tiananmen Vigil & Protests 2012.
- Full Lowdown: July 1st Pro-Democracy March, 2013. See also: The coolest, most inspiring shots from the 2013 July 1st Rally.
- Full Lowdown: Thousands of Bigoted Christian Homophobes Gather for Demo.
- Full Lowdown: US Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seeks Refuge in Free Speech HK