The mania surrounding HK’s most wanted toy shows no sign of abating, with the Lufsig FB page reaching 50,000 fans this week. Even CY himself praised the genius of Lufsig-gate, announcing that it proved how Hong Konger’s ‘creativity was boundless‘. Unmoved by CY’s adorable attempt to demonstrate a sense of humour, many HK netizens took the opportunity to mercilessly exercise their Photoshop skills… (mildly NSFW images below).
The toy represents a perfect lingual storm. Leung Chun-ying is often compared to a wolf for his cunning deviousness, whilst ‘to throw’ resembles a vulgar expression in Cantonese. Lufsig’s original phonetic translation, ‘Lo Mo Sai’, is also a near-homophone of ‘mother’s cunt’.
Some photoshoppers made reference to the report visible in CY’s hand regarding a sex scandal in Australia…
The story was covered by almost every international news outlet whilst one netizen adapted TIME’s ‘Person of the Year’ cover, rededicating the award to HK’s new hero…
Celebrities such as Cantopop star Pakho Chan offered their endorsement…
And, never to miss a marketing opportunity, some companies quickly cashed in with t-shirts, phone covers and even a Lufsig cake available for the festive season…
Original Lufsigs are averaging around HK$200 on the popular HK Yahoo Auction site. Dozens are also available on TaoBao, with the plush novelty reaching levels of popularity comparable to that of Grass Mud Horse on the mainland.
A giant Lufsig was spotted in IKEA earlier this month and, within days of the meme going viral, someone even dared to whip one out in Tiananmen Square…
The wolf has even spawned an online game at lomosai.com…
IKEA, meanwhile, has renamed the toy after expressing ‘regret‘ over its ‘unfortunate‘ naming. It is now known as ‘Lu Fu Xi’ in Putonghua, or ‘Lo Fook Sai’ in Cantonese and will be available in local IKEA stores once again in the new year…
However, as far as Hong Kongers are concerned, the toy will always will be known as Lufsig Lo Mo Sai.
Archive of political posts and coverage…
- A Tour of the Famous Greenpeace Ship, Rainbow Warrior III.
- Average Salaries of Those Who Serve Us.
- Child Abduction Rumours Are Textbook Scarelore.
- Citizens Left to Clean Beaches Still Brimming with Plastic Pellets.
- CY Leung Humiliated at Ceremony Ahead of July 1st March.
- Election 2012 as Popvote.hk is Hacked.
- Food Choices on the Hong Kong Poverty Line.
- Henry Tang’s Daughter’s Artwork.
- Hidden Agenda Raided Again Over the Weekend.
- Hong Kong 3rd Best for Human Freedom? The Truth About ‘That Survey’.
- Hong Kong’s Invisible Caged Poor: Mini Sculptures by Kwong Chi Kit.
- Hong Kong is World’s Most Racist State. See also: Hong Kong NOT World’s Most Racist State After All.
- Hong Kong’s Rooftop Slums.
- Hong Kong’s Shame – More Squalid Slums Discovered in the New Territories.
- How Hong Kong Would Look With The All Lights Out.
- How Mitt Romney Raised $Millions in HK & Macau.
- Indonesian Maids Rally in Support of Abused Domestic Helper.
- Judges Approve Transsexual Marriage as LGBT Event Planned for Weekend.
- Lantau Incinerator a Load of Old Rubbish.
- Manila Bus Crisis – Mourning Sickness.
- Memo an Affront to HK’s Autonomy as New HK Ai Wei Wei Piece Revealed.
- More Clueless Sexual Assault Comments, Now From HK’s Chief Prosecutor.
- New HK PSA: Shut Up and Love China.
- Poverty & Property: The Claustrophobic Reality of HK Shoeboxes.
- Revealed: CY Leung Met Tony Blair in Secretive June Meeting
- Security Chief Tells Women: ‘Reduce Drinking’ to Get Raped Less.
- Serious Crime Unit Arrests Graffiti Artist as US Criticises HK Human Rights.
- Squalor in Fanling: Slum Dwellings Return to Hong Kong (Photos).
- Tens of Thousands Surround Gov’t HQ Protesting Rejected HKTV Bid.
- The Heart-Warming Kindness of Hong Kong’s Heroes.
- The HK Standard: Ignorant at Best, Racist at Worst.
- The KONY 2012 HK ‘Night Sweep’.
- The McQueue of Shame?
- Time Out/Hemlock Tycoons Feature.
- Two HK School Children Demand GovHK Burn Ivory Stockpile
- Why Does Jackie Chan Hate Hong Kong?
The front lines (in reverse chronological order – most recent first)…
- Left 21 Anti-Poverty Halloween Rally.
- US Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seeks Refuge in HK, 2013. More on the ‘Support Snowden’ rally: Part I: Preparations, Part II: Global media coverage, Part III: Photos, Part IV: Videos.
- Giant Dog Shit is Re-dedicated to Politician Chan Kam-Lam, 2013.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2013. See also: Preview of 2013 Candle-lit Vigil.
- Depraved HK Newspaper Needn’t Fear HK’s Media Watchdogs, 2012. See also: Media Ethics Complaint Against Oriental Daily Upheld.
- Gaza Rally 2012.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2012.
- Why I Attempted to Arrest Tony Blair, 2012. See also: £2420 ‘Arrest Blair’ Bounty Awarded.
- 24-hr Anonymous Guerrilla Art Installation, 2010.
- Anniversary of the Tibetan Occupation, 2010.
- Gaza Flotilla Rally, 2010.
- HK-GZ High Speed Rail Link Protests, 2010.
- Anniversary of the Tibetan Occupation, 2009.
- Annual Democracy Rally, 2009.
- Gaza Rally, 2009.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2009.
- Annual Democracy Rally, 2008.
- Buy Nothing Day, 2008.
- China Human Rights Protest, 2008.
- Olympic Torch Relay, 2008 See also: Olympic Countdown and Civil Liberties Legal Case, 2008.
- Tiananmen Vigil 2008.
- Maxim Magazine Feature, 2006.
- Minimum Wage Protest, 2006.
- Worker’s Rights in Education, 2006.
Rallies/Demonstrations attended by, or covered by, Hong Wrong…
- Lantau Incinerator Protest, 2012.
- LGBT Anti-Discrimination Rally, 2012.
- Shots from HK’s Gay Pride Parade, 2012.
- Shots from the National Education Protests of 2012.
- Occupy Hong Kong, 2011. See also: Occupy Hong Kong a Bit Embarrassing, Asked to Leave, Occupy HK Refuse to Speak to Media and Occupy Hong Kong Evicted (pictures).
Reinterpreting major local news events in English for foreign readers and expats…
- Full Lowdown: 2012 Election Aftermath. Protests Continue, Albert Ho Quits & Racist Candidate Loses.
- Full Lowdown: Battle of the Bullshit – Falun Gong Edition.
- Full Lowdown: HK Lamma Ferry Disaster 2012.
- Full Lowdown: HK Political Shit-storm Ahead of July 1st, 2012. See also: Full Lowdown of Handover Weekend 2012: Protest Minimised, Reporter Removed.
- Full Lowdown: HK’s 2012 National Education Protests. See also: Full Lowdown: Small Victory for Scholarism as 170,000+ Protest National Education.
- Full Lowdown: HK’s Tiananmen Vigil & Protests 2012.
- Full Lowdown: July 1st Pro-Democracy March, 2013. See also: The coolest, most inspiring shots from the 2013 July 1st Rally.
- Full Lowdown: Time Hong Kong Moved on from the Manila Bus Crisis.
- Full Lowdown: Thousands of Bigoted Christian Homophobes Gather for Demo.
- Full Lowdown: US Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seeks Refuge in Free Speech HK