This summer, a team from HK URBEX visited the recently abandoned Siu Lam Hospital 小欖醫院 in Tuen Mun.
Built in 1972, the derelict hospital specialised in mental health and physiotherapy treatment.
As it was designed in the 60s, many of the buildings in the compound had poor infrastructure.
Roof leakages often led to infection control issues.
A Human Rights Watch report in the 90s criticised staffing levels and its problematic status as both a prison and mental institution.
Being a correctional facility it had a focus on security, which was to the detriment of regular patients.
It was also found that at least 90% of prisoners were on regular, often very high, doses of oral sedatives, administered to keep them in a constant state of drowsiness.
Some patients were given more than double the normal dose.
Excessive doping helped over-worked staff cope with the large number of violent and mentally disturbed patients.
However, it was found that the drugs led to dependence problems, thereby leading to more violence.
Like many other similar institutions in Hong Kong, Siu Lam had padded cells (or ‘protected rooms’) for unmanageable or violent patients.
Not all inmates were mentally disturbed – a security unit for prisoners who have testified for the prosecution in criminal cases.
In its heyday, Siu Lam psychiatric hospital was home to 270 inmates, 95% of whom required treatment because they suffered from paranoia or other psychiatric disorders.
In 2012, the hospital moved its premises to Castle Peak and this particular facility has remained dormant since.
After only two years, nature has already begun to digest the abandoned site.
Today’s images and video are courtesy of the HK URBEX team – follow them on Facebook.
Exploring forgotten corners of HK where nature is winning…
- Abandoned TV studios near Sai Kung.
- Abandoned Villages in HK’s ‘Wild West’ (Fan Lau).
- Central’s Abandoned Prison and Police Station.
- Fung Hang Semi-Abandoned Village.
- HK’s Abandoned ‘Ghost Island’, Yim Tin Tsai.
- Kuk Po, Part 1: Photos from HK’s Borderzone Ghost Town.
- Kuk Po, Part 2: More Shots from the Abandoned Village Outpost.
- Kuk Po: Part 3: Interview with the Only Villager.
- Kuk Po, Part 4: Plover Cove Abandoned Ghost Town Revisited.
- Lai Chi Wo: The Semi-Abandoned Hakka Walled Village in Plover Cove.
- Luk Keng Chan Uk Semi-Abandoned Village.
- Ma On Shan’s Abandoned Iron Mine Complex.
- Ma Wan Abandoned Town, Part 1.
- Ma Wan Abandoned Town, Part 2.
- MTR Tunnels Under Construction.
- Shing Mun Redoubt, HK’s Secret WWII Tunnels.
- The Creepy Abandoned Holiday Resort of Broken Dreams, Part 1.
- The Creepy Abandoned Holiday Resort of Broken Dreams, Part 2.
- The Half-Submerged Cargo Ship Currently Abandoned off Cheung Chau.
- So Lo Pun: HK’s Ancient ‘Haunted’ Abandoned Village.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 1: Sunrise on Hong Kong’s Furthest Flung & Wildest Island.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 2: The Abandoned Hamlets of Hong Kong’s ‘Jumanji Island’.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 3: The Abandoned Military Base on HK’s Wild Outpost.
- Tung Ping Chau, Part 4: Video discussing HK’s Abandoned, Wild Island Outpost.
- Wanchai’s Abandoned Police Station.
- Yung Shue Au & Sam A Tsuen Ghost Villages