HK’s International Tattoo Convention took place over the weekend…
The city’s first ink expo comes weeks after its first sex exhibition – both unusual in conservative Hong Kong.
Traditionally associated with crime in HK, ink is being rehabilitated and the convention likely attracted more hipster-types than triads…
“The convention is a way to showcase local talent, and tell the international community that we’re here, and to break the Chinese stereotypes that tattoos are only for the bad guys.” – organiser Gabe Shum told the SCMP.
The sub-culture is still, however, associated with heavy rock music. Clockenflap presented several such acts over the weekend at an adjacent bar area.
Around 50 artists from Britain, US, Japan, S.Africa, France, Taiwan, Holland, Spain, China, Germany, Poland, Korea, Switzerland, Thailand and Hong Kong showcased their work at the 3-day event in Kowloon Tong…
There were demonstrations of Thai Buddhist ‘Yantra‘ tattooing, which uses the bamboo method…
Street art was provided by local artists such as Mark Goss, Parent’s Parents and 4Get.
AFP video about the growing tattoo trend amongst HK women…
Click here for links to all of Hong Wrong’s art fair coverage. Full highlights listed below…
- Adrian Wong’s ‘Wun Dun’ Launch.
- Affordable Art Fair 2013.
- Ai Weiwei’s New ‘Baby Milk’ Sculpture, 2013.
- American Graffiti Artist SEEN in Hong Kong.
- Art Basel 2013: Part 1 of 2.
- Art Basel 2013: Part 2 of 2.
- Art HK 2012 Highlights: Hall 1.
- Art HK 2012 Moving Installations.
- Art Inspired by Kowloon Walled City.
- Asia Contemporary Art Show 2013.
- Asia Hotel Art Fair 2013.
- Chai Wan Mei 2012: Local Art Studios on an Old Industrial Estate.
- Clockenflap 2012. See also: Complete Clockenflap 2012 Guide.
- Comfort Women Exhibition, 2012.
- Detour Festival 2012.
- Fine Art Asia 2012.
- Fotanian Open Studios 2013.
- Free Space Festival 2012.
- Full Lowdown & Map for Art Week 2013.
- Giant Dog Shit is Re-dedicated to Politician Chan Kam-Lam.
- Gigantic Yellow Rubber Bath Toy Visiting Harbour.
- HK Inspired Art Projects.
- HK’s Got Talent! Paul Lung’s Amazingly Realistic Pencil Drawings.
- Hong Kong Contemporary 2013.
- Hong Kong Eye 2013.
- Inflation Festival 2013 at West Kowloon.
- Julianne Yang’s Citylines – Sketches of Unseen Strangers in HK.
- King Kong in Hong Kong.
- Microwave Festival 2012.
- More ART HK 2012 Highlights: Hall 3.
- Rodentia in Absentia by Adrian Wong.
- Shots from HK’s Biggest Ever Street Art Exhibition in Tai Koo, 2013.
- Spoon Art Fair 2012.
- The HK Political Art of Winnie Davies.
- The Sum of All Evil: Shock Value or Art?.
- Videotage ‘Wikitopia’ 2012 at Microwave Festival Annex.