Despite bracing for the ‘storm of the century’, Typhoon Usagi passed through southern China having little major effect on HK. The T8 signal remained hoisted overnight, leading to a morning off for many citizens.
Video by Edwin Lee et al of Fallout Media…
Flights were cancelled and public transport was abandoned…
Many passengers were understandably stranded at the airport, though – bizarrely – some seemed surprised and angry.
The SCMP captured a time-lapse of the incoming storm…
Some went out storm-chasing, uploading photos and videos as they went…
Meanwhile, a number of Hong Kong’s long-suffering maid community were not allowed to return home until 2 hours after the T8 signal was raised (at 9pm)…
Locals willed the storm on in the hope of a day off on Monday. “Typhoon, please don’t leave”, reads the window tape below…
…others went surfing…
…A few supermarkets saw panic buying by customers who had perhaps forgotten that 7/11 would remain open even during the apocalypse…
One Hong Konger sporting speedos was perpetually on standby to abandon ship…
Others expressed fears that a direct hit to HK would cause a repeat of Fukushima at nearby Dana Bay Nuclear Plant just over the border…
The mainstream media blew the incoming storm out of all proportion whilst expatriates on social media remained insufferable throughout the weekend, giving live updates on their plight…
By 9:30am on Monday, the typhoon signal had been lowered to a T3, meaning most Hong Kongers had to head into work.
To view all content and entries posted on the blog, click here. Some other highlights include…
- A Brief History of HK’s Racist Toothpaste.
- An American Warship in Hong Kong.
- Behold: Epic Hong Kong Piano Boy.
- Best of ‘Hong Kong Memes’.
- Burgernomics & Hong Kong’s Love Affair with McDonald’s.
- Celebrity ‘Tiger Tutors’ Documentary.
- Chinese New Year in HK by Interactive Google Street View.
- East vs West Cultural Differences.
- Euphoric English Advert for HK’s Noah’s Ark.
- Fake Monks Targeting Westerners on the Rise.
- Free ‘Kick Me In The Balls’.
- Future Maps of the MTR.
- Gweilo Moments Song by RTHK’s Steve James.
- HK Goes Completely Insane For Big Yellow Duck’s Arrival.
- HK’s Most Quaint & Delightful Public Service Ads from the 80s.
- Hollywood Destroys the Bank of China Building.
- Hong Kong 2013 vs. Fritz Lang’s 1927 Masterpiece ‘Metropolis’.
- Hong Kong in Miniature.
- Hong Kong Makes Tacocopter Internet Meme a Reality.
- Hong Kong SantaCon 2012.
- Hong Kong’s Feral Monkey Problem.
- Hong Kong’s Skyscrapers in Height Order.
- Hong Kong’s Weirdest Public Service Ads.
- How to See Fireflies in Hong Kong.
- How to Tell the Time from the HK Skyline.
- How to Use Social Networking in HK.
- Illegal Monkey Mountain Feeding Continues (Photos).
- International No Pants Subway Day: Hong Kong.
- Keeping it Classy on the Hong Kong MTR.
- Kill It With Fire: HK’s Top 5 Most Dreadful Creepy Crawlies.
- King Kong in Hong Kong.
- Literary Death Match Storytelling Smackdown.
- Louis Vuitton’s Pretentious Corporate Claptrap.
- Mainland Tourists Clear HK Banks & Jewellers of Bling.
- Map of Hong Kong Island’s New Hos.
- No Sex Please, We’re Hong Kongers.
- Paul Mooney’s SCMP Whistle-blower Article.
- Photographer Michael Wolf May Be Legal Trouble Over ‘Window Watching’.
- Photos & Footage from the 1st Hong Kong Soapbox Race.
- Pro-Beijing DAB Party Campaigning Against Club Triple X.
- Profit, Protection & Public Interest: Why is SCMP ‘Drip-feeding’ Snowden Revelations?
- Rave in a Cave.
- Sexpo 2013: Photos from HK’s First ‘Asia Adult Expo’ [NSFW].
- Salaries of Those Who Serve Us.
- Shark Spotted in Sai Kung.
- South China Morning Post Buys Out HK Magazine.
- Shots from HK’s Summer 2013.
- Tasteless Campaign from HK’s Society for Abandoned Animals.
- Teacup Storm Over HK Magazine Crap Rape Joke.
- The Ancient Super Volcano Beneath Victoria Harbour.
- The English Meaning of MTR Station Names.
- The McQueue of Shame?
- The Official Hong Kong Hiking Drinking Game.
- The People’s Map of Hong Kong.
- The Portland Street ‘Ethnic Hierarchy’.
- The Sum of All Evil: Shock Value or Art?
- The Weird World of HK Milk Advertising.
- The Weird, Possibly Racist World of HK Speed Dating – A Personal Account.
- Tour of the Famous Greenpeace Ship, Rainbow Warrior III.
- Tsim Sha Tsui in LEGO.
- Weird Propaganda Sign on Hong Kong Soil.
- Why Does Jackie Chan Hate Hong Kong?