Hong Kong-based Irish photographer Grainne Quinlan has produced a quirky series entitled ‘White Crane Spread Wings’…
Quinlan studied Hong Kong’s elderly Tai Chi enthusiasts around the city’s ‘adult exercise corners’…
She says, ‘My interest is not in photographing the complexities and techniques of these movements but rather the individuals who participate in this unique routine…’
‘…To me the individual appears entranced and otherworldly, removed from their surrounds and absorbed in a performance. As movement is stilled within the frame, the nature of this performance is amplified and as such human form and expression are central to this work.’
She is preparing for an exhibition next year with another HK-themed series entitled ‘Delirious Paradise‘, a series of photographs taken around Wing Lee Street.
Click here for a collection of Hong Kong desktop wallpapers. You may also enjoy…
- Aerial Shots of HK’s Coffin Homes, by Ko Chung Ming.
- An American Warship in Hong Kong.
- Beautifully Animated Hong Kong Cinemagraphs.
- Before and After Photos of Old & New Hong Kong.
- Cages, Hookers, Tattoos: HK’s Grim Underbelly.
- Colourful HK: More Amazing Shots by Romain Jacquet-Lagreze.
- Cool Photos of Hong Kong in Miniature.
- Dreamy Infra-red Shots of Hong Kong.
- Elite: Michael Chan’s Commentary on Education & Poverty.
- Fan Ho, Part I: HK’s Boom Years.
- Fan Ho, Part II: Street Scenes in Dreamy Colour 1954-2004.
- Food Choices on the Hong Kong Poverty Line.
- Glitch the Matrix: Old & New Hong Kong Blended Together.
- HangGraffiti’s Unexpected Hong Kong.
- HK’s ‘Gloomy Summer’ by Akif Hakan Celebi.
- Home Street Home: Homelessness in HK by Lei Jih-sheng.
- Hong Kong Above the Clouds.
- Hong Kong in the Rain By Christophe Jacrot.
- Hong Kong Through a Crystal Ball.
- Hong Kong Through the Eyes of NatGeo’s Mark Leong.
- Honkey Kong: HK Photographed as a 2-D Platform Game.
- Jeff Tam’s HDR & Street Photography.
- Little Planet Hong Kong: A New Perspective.
- Michael Wolf’s ‘Architecture of Density’.
- Michael Wolf’s ‘Window Watching’ Invasive or Curious?
- Michael Wolf’s 100 Photos of 100 Rooms of 100sq ft.
- Michael Wolf’s Hong Kong Cornerhouses.
- Neon Pink and Blue – Thomas Birke’s HK Shots.
- One Year in Hong Kong by Brian Yen.
- Photographs of Hong Kong’s Rooftop Slums.
- Pictures of Hong Kong in 1972.
- Poverty & Property: The Claustrophobic Reality of HK Shoeboxes.
- Poverty, Age & Loneliness in HK: by Brian Yen.
- Rare Shots from Inside the Old Kowloon Walled City.
- Sean Creamer’s Hong Kong.
- Superheroes Working in Hong Kong.
- The Part of Hong Kong Foreigners Never See, by Joanathan Van Smit’.
- The Peak Tram in 1908 & More Unseen Vintage Photos.
- Tom Carter’s China: Exclusive Shots of HK & Macau.
- Vertical Horizon: Amazing Photos HK Skyscrapers.
- Vintage Photos of Old Hong Kong.
- World Press Photo 2012 at the HK Design Institute.